I just finished reading a book called What Difference Do it Make?, a follow-up book to Same Kind of Different As Me, by Ron Hall and Denver Moore. These men came from completely different walks of life yet came together and continue to make a difference in the homeless communities across the country. It really opened my eyes to some of the issues surrounding the homeless.
Growing up in a suburb, I rarely encountered homeless people on the streets. Sure, I volunteered at homeless shelters through my church youth group and through my high school, but that was the only time I ever really saw them.
I began to see more of the homeless when I went to college in downtown Nashville, and now, living in the 4th largest city in the U.S., I'm lucky if I don't see a homeless person in a single day.
My heart has always been troubled when seeing these folks on the streets. Many will walk up to you and ask for money. Some stand at busy intersections with signs made from cardboard boxes or with an empty McDonald's cup. Some even carry a bucket of water and a squeegee and wash your windows while you are waiting at the light, in hopes that you will pay them for their service.
My initial gut reaction when I see these people is fear. Here is a dirty, smelly, perhaps mentally impaired person looking in my window and holding his cup towards me asking for change. I avoid eye contact. I roll up my windows. I ignore them. I don't even crack a smile. I pray for the light to turn green quickly. And then as I drive away (or walk away), I feel pangs of guilt. God has blessed me with financial security, a home, food, family, friends... couldn't I have spared a dollar? Or even a smile? Jesus commands us to help those in need, no matter if they are dirty or malicious.
But, you ask, What if you give a homeless person 5 bucks, and then he goes and buys cigarettes or alcohol with it and then gets thrown in jail? The answer is that it is not our place to judge how this person uses your gift to them. You are blessing this person, and what he does with what you give him is up to him. The idea is that we are called to help those in need; what happens after that is up to God. We certainly cannot "fix" the situation of a homeless person when we toss change into his cup. But a simple act of smiling, saying hello, and showing love to someone is our duty as Christians.
Another thing that I was reminded of in this book is that we should never be quick to judge. Not every homeless person is crazy. Not every homeless person is a lazy bum. Not every homeless person is an addict. Some, for instance, are just down on their luck. Maybe, like Denver Moore, their upbringings put them in their position- without even an elementary school education, how can an adult find his place in society? Who will accept him, offer him a job, or even respect him? When we look to help the homeless, we should look past what we see on the surface. We don't know their life histories. Let God do the judging.
Like any other person, the homeless are looking for acceptance, for recognition, for a second chance. Whether they got themselves into this position or not, they are God's children too, and they deserve to be treated as our brothers and sisters. So the next time you give a homeless person some change or a burger, don't question what they are going to do next. Give freely and let God take care of the rest. You never know what difference it could make.
I haven't yet read the first book (Same Kind of Different as Me), but I have it on hold at the library. I would highly recommend the second book, What Difference do it Make, if you are interested in reading more about this topic. It's a quick read, and I wager that it will stir your heart.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment