Tuesday, March 13, 2012

Boarding planes

After another round of flying I began to wonder how boarding "zones" are assigned. I'm about as picky about my seat assignment as I am in picking out bananas at the store (VERY picky!!!), and part of the reason that I choose to sit towards the back of the plane (aisle seat, please!) is because I want to board first so that there is plenty of room in the overhead compartment. But most airlines board in random order so that even though I'm in the back, I could board with the last zone/group and risk having to check my bag to my final destination.

This randomized method hardly seems the most efficient to me. I spent mucho time thinking about this and returned home to find this blog entry, proving that analytical/statistically oriented minds think alike. Some people ponder about the meaning of life. I meditate on things like this.

Fascinating.

I guess it matters not whether I book a seat near the front or back of the plane.

3 comments:

M. Z. Ahern said...

I am definitely on board with that method!

Rachel said...

Ha...I have wondered about this myself! I don't know why all airlines don't just go with the Southwest method. So logical, so neat, so simple. I love Southwest. Why can't all airlines be Southwest.

CHA said...

I completely agree that Southwest is the #1 airline and has figured out a good boarding process. Continental was once praiseworthy too, but is taking a downward spiral by merging into United.