Allison was an erratic storm system... not predicted to hit Houston as hard as it did. But she came anyway, with full force, and sat right on top of us for an extended period of time. I will never be able to erase the images of submerged vehicles, flooded streets, and doctors/researchers standing outside of their labs crying like babies because flood waters had destroyed their many years of experiments and work. Thankfully I had a place to go, but I still remember calling my parents from a crowded payphone (which was hard to find) to tell them I was ok. Looking back at pictures of areas that I now frequent almost daily is surreal.
A bridge above Highway 59, one of Houston's main highways:

Texas Medical Center. I walk this route weekly:

I-10. The interstate from Houston to San Antonio:

An aerial shot of downtown and the highway system:

Rita brought us some tame rain and a few fallen branches despite the hefty predictions. The Husband and I tried to flee to Dallas but made it only something like 13 miles in 11 hours in the baking sun before turning around and praying that we would be protected from the storm. Obviously, there was really no need to leave in the first place.
After two miserable experiences, Erin, I forbid you to come near us.
2 comments:
That slight breeze and pink sky of Rita still had us intently watching the news for about 12 hours straight.....just to make us feel like we were really experiencing the storm!!! haha
Yeah... watching Geraldo get tossed around in the wind definitely kept us entertained too. :)
Post a Comment