I'm on a quest to reduce my coffee intake. Instead of quitting cold turkey (where did that silly phrase come from, anyway?), the plan is to slowly reduce the amount I drink in the mornings (I'm down to a half mug instead of a full mug). This is not to say that I'm completely giving up coffee... I'll still have it on occasion, but not habitually.
hm. Check back with me later...
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
2 comments:
As I understand it, there are several main (and related) origins of the phrase, all of which seem to stem from the 1920s drug era.
First, it is thought that "Cold Turkey" is related to "talk turkey," which was a synonym for "plain, simple, straight-forward talk." Cold turkey is a no-frills, low-prep, straight-forward food, and hence turkey talk, or cold turkey, represent no need for preparation.
Another thought is that perhaps "Cold Turkey" refers to the cold, goose-fleshy, clammy carcass of a cold turkey, much like the symptoms of a quivering heroine addict in withdrawl.
I like that one better.
I am crazy about my morning coffee, and I'm not sure I've ever seriously considered giving it up permanently. I did forgo it for five pregnancies -- 45 months of my adult life -- for the sake of the healthy, caffeine-free development of the kids, but I was always looking forward to getting right back to it. And now I have the teeth to show for it: they match my latte perfectly!
Post a Comment