I received a button from a friend this week with those words on it. And I was encouraged.
The next day, while hanging up from a conference call, everyone exclaimed, "Happy Holidays!," and I was thus very discouraged. I am not accustomed to hearing this phrase. Growing up, even in public school (shriek!), we greeted each other with "Merry Christmas" and even had Christmas concerts complete with Christmas carols, nativity scenes, and excerpts from the Bible. I can hardly believe how much has changed in 10-15 years. From what I have heard, public schools today are limited to Holiday Concerts that have absolutely no mention of the word Christ to spread holiday cheer. But really, what is holiday cheer without the celebration of the birth of our Savior?
2 comments:
Amen, sistah.
The last few years, a "Happy Holidays" from a passing stranger or store clerk has left me feeling dismal because it seems so contrived to avoid Christ. But this year, there seems to be what is perhaps the beginnings of a grassroots rebellion, cashiers and others openly bucking the trend and saying, "Merry Christmas". Haven't heard it in years. It's giving me courage to do the same.
Post a Comment