Sunday, January 11, 2009

7 days til Race Time


In 7 days, I will have hopefully successfully completed my first marathon! Check!

FAQs:

1. What pace are you aiming for?/What time do you want to finish in?
I am not aiming for a certain time. I am slow. With the way my training has been going, I just want to finish. That's it.

2. How can I track you during the race if I can't come and watch you in person?
Go to the Marathon website to receive athlete alerts or to follow me online. There are links which will allow you to sign up to receive text messages as I reach certain mile markers. There is also an option to track my progress in real live time online.

3. Are you crazy?
Maybe. I will have a better idea of the answer to that in a week. At this point, I wouldn't want to do this again. It's a huge time commitment to train and rough on the body. Only a wildly amazing location could tempt me again (Alaska, Hawaii, Tahoe...), and even then, I may opt for a half marathon option if it's available.

4. Are you and Nate running together?
No way, Jose. Nate's legs are 5x as long as mine and he can make much better distance with much fewer strides than me. In other words, he is MUCH faster than me and will be waiting for me at the finish line for a good 30+ minutes.

5. How far have you run in preparation?
Nate and I have trained as far as about 21.75 miles. So just 4.5 more miles to reach marathon distance. Yikes!

6. What can I do to help?
Come watch me and bring me food along the course. Pray for no injuries before or during the race, and for no blacking out, passing out, or any outcome requiring medical attention.

No comments: