Thursday, February 19, 2009
Short People
I thought I was short until I discovered that the average female height in the U.S. is just under 5' 4''. At 5' 2.5'', I'd say I'm pretty middle-of-the-line, and everyone else is just too dang tall.
Even if this implies that I can't claim to be short, I still feel like I am. Because it is often all too obvious to me in my daily tasks that I am vertically challenged in comparison to most people I interact with on a day to day basis.
Just today I walked over to the Children's Hospital for a building rededication ceremony and the moment I walked in I was swallowed by a large and milling crowd of physicians and staff members and before I knew it I couldn't see where I was going. I have always hated crowds, and I think one reason why they make me feel so miserable is because once I get into them, I can't see a thing because all I can see are shoulders, backs, chests, etc. I can't even see where the door is to escape.
I would also like to mention that parking lots are hazardous places for little people. This is obvious when you see mommys and daddys holding their childrens' hands as they walk through a parking lot, so that they don't get hit by cars. But for short folks, the same potential hazard applies. I can't even count the number of times I have almost gotten hit by the rear end of a car who didn't see me walking by while they were trying to back out of a parking spot. I should just buy a 3 foot tall hat to wear exclusively in parking lots so that people can see me.
Does anyone else ever have problems with those sensor activated toilets that are supposedly supposed to flush after you stand up? I am pretty sure that a tall person invented those things because more often than not the sensor thinks I've stood up when I've only just sat down. Obviously, it does not see me because I am too short for it.
Of course there are always the items I can't reach. I frequently stand on my desk in my office because it's the only way I can reach those top shelves. Thank goodness I live with a taller than average male (he is almost 7'' taller than average!) who is always willing to get something for me so that I'm not climbing on chairs every hour of the day. I'm considering buying a step stool just so I can reach things and see out of the front door peephole when Nate's not here.
Of course, being a small person does have its perks. Like living longer. And I can fit into small spaces, duck behind things and hide, and see things that are too low for others to notice. While we were at the lakehouse last weekend (pictures to come later!), we spent the better half of our first evening there in partial darkness because we couldn't figure out how to turn on the kitchen and dining room lights. We tried every switch in the entire house without any luck, until I later found a set of switches tucked beneath the bar that only a short person would see, of course. First there was a short person. And then there was light.
I leave you with one final thought: If 5' 4'' is the average height of a woman, I would like to know why women's clothing is made for women who are 5' 9''? Why do I have to shop in the Petite section? Or hem every pair of pants I buy? I should be able to shop in the regular women's department and everyone who is taller should have to shop in a section for Giants!!
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
4 comments:
I couldn't have said it all better myself...at 5'3", I feel as if I face many of these challenges/frustrations daily as well! :)
i'm right there with both of you!! and i especially appreciated the toilet comment - totally happens all the time!
I too can relate. I read this just in Psalm 115 after reading your post: "He will bless those who fear the LORD--small and great alike." Haha!
That Randy Newman song was a huge hit when it came out in the 70s...and it opened up a lot of this kind of discussion...short people letting the non-short world in on what life is like from the short perspective. Incidentally, the toilet thing happens to me all the time, too, and I'm 5'8". Or was. I'm headed your way...on the shrinking side of life. I got claustrophobic just reading your description of being in crowds. Step stools are indispensable, I think. I have a plastic one in the pantry for reaching the top shelf, a nice little wood one in the library (top two shelves are too high for me) and another nice little wood one upstairs for access to my closet shelves. The wood ones are nice because they can double as chair footstools.
Post a Comment