
The trail riders are almost here! And that also means that one of my favorite times of the year here in Houston is as well.
Every year at this time of year, riders and cowboys gear up their horses for a trek ranging from 70-382 miles into Houston, just in time for the start of the Houston Livestock Show and Rodeo.
The first time I heard about these trail rides was a few years back when Nate and I were trying to get to a Saturday morning run at Memorial Park. Imagine the surprise and awe in our sleepy-eyed faces... a seemingly never-ending line of horses, carriages, men and women clad in cowboy hats, and Texas flags domineering the road, headstrong in one direction. They were headed downtown for the Rodeo Parade, which ends the trail ride and kicks off the three-weeks of RODEO HOUSTON that warms my heart :)
Soon, we will be smelling the livestock from the event, located just around the corner from us. (I know that doesn't exactly sound very appealing, but the smell of rural life in a big city does have its sense of excitement.) We'll be buzzing past the carnival lights and sounds as we pass on the highway, while dodging trailers carrying cattle and horses being pulled by big trucks. I relish the sight of men in cowboy boots, big buckles, and cowboy hats!
I'm looking forward to another round of the world championship barbeque contest, seeing the newborns at the livestock show, going to cow milking demonstrations and watching chicks hatch from their eggs, mutton bustin' shows (helmeted kids riding on sheep and hanging on for dear life), pig races, funnel cakes and turkey legs, petting zoos, art and quilt shows, bull riding and live music flowing from the stadium. Not sure if we'll make it to another concert this year but you will definitely hear of it if we do.
This year's goal is to get Nate on the mechanical bull.
So come on trail riders! And welcome to Houston!
1 comment:
I'd consider a real bull . . .
Post a Comment